Bloodvein First Nation school opened its doors to students on April 4th, 2022, the first of three schools to be completed this year. Little Grand Rapids and Poplar River First Nations, also part of the Lake Winnipeg School Bundle, will follow suit in the fall.
The objective of the Lake Winnipeg Schools Bundle project is to provide First Nations with access to quality learning environments comparable to those of students off-reserve. The overall goals of the project are to:
- Provide access to a variety of educational opportunities for students and the community;
- Provide educational facilities that accommodate current and projected enrollment occupancy;
- Develop an inviting, culturally relevant environment in which community members are partners in the educational process;
- Provide a safe, enabling and nurturing environment for all students regardless of their individual challenges; and
- Provide a safe working environment for staff.
Each community completed a school pre-design study with recommended sizing and siting of the school along with enrollment projections. Shawano Consulting staff have worked closely with the Chiefs every step of the way to ensure these state-of-the-art schools meet the individual needs of each community.
Shawano Consulting Services Ltd., a subsidiary company of Shawano Wapunong Investments Corp., was formed in 2003 by Southeast Resource Development Council to assist and support First Nations in managing capital projects in their communities.
By Renée Simcoe | April 25, 2022